Kōanga Garden Crew Member
We are looking for an amazing, dedicated, passionate person to join our gardening team. If you think this is you, we would love to hear from you.
Koanga is a registered charitable trust that aims to protect and develop heritage food plants and animals, while advancing regenerative systems for a sustainable future. The organisation holds the largest heritage seed collection in the southern hemisphere, making it a unique and innovative leader in the field of regenerative agriculture.
The mission of the Koanga Institute is to inspire, encourage, and support regenerative self-reliant communities by:
- Protecting, developing, and sharing our NZ heritage food plants and animals.
- Researching, experiencing, and sharing knowledge around regenerative systems.
- Engaging with others to facilitate the adoption of a regenerative culture.
Kōanga is seeking an enthusiastic and hard-working Garden crew member to join our team. As a Garden Crew Member, you will work alongside our experienced team and learn Kōanga’s Best Practice in terms of Bio-intensive growing, seed production, processing, and Biological Agriculture. You will be responsible for maintaining one of our seed gardens to the highest standards while managing a team and working towards the production of high-quality, high brix seeds.
- Manage and maintain a garden of approximately 300-400 square meters to the highest standards
- Attend relevant workshops to learn all aspects of growing high-quality seedlings, plants, and soil, and apply these skills in practice under the direction of the Garden Manager
- Work with a team and manage others in your garden
- Maintain and implement Bio-Intensive gardening techniques
- Conduct weekly brix testing and maintain appropriate moisture levels
- Plan your garden and apply foliar and other fertilisers as required
- Grow carbon crops and make high-quality compost
- Plant at diagonal spacings accurately and efficiently, maintain beds weed-free and harvest seeds when required
- Conduct specialist tasks as required for seed production, rogueing, and selection
- Maintain garden tools and equipment
- Follow record-keeping instructions and keep work stations and greenhouses in best running order, including managing temperatures and conditions as appropriate, and bird control where necessary
- Cooperate with and support other Garden Crew Members
- Maintain up-to-date, neat, and tidy records for others to use
- Show visitors and students the work you are doing, and be available to help on Guided Tours and Open Days
- Manage your time to best advantage in terms of efficiency and keep your garden and immediate surroundings neat and tidy at all times
- Previous experience in gardening, farming, or related fields preferred
- Knowledge of Bio-Intensive gardening techniques and biological agriculture
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work efficiently in a team environment
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Flexibility to work occasional weekends and holidays
- Excellent record-keeping and communication skills
- Passion for regenerative agriculture and a desire to learn and develop new skills
Working Hours : 40 hours per week.
Joining the Kōanga team is an opportunity to be a part of a regeneration legacy and to learn and develop regenerative systems.
If you think you are the right fit for this position, we would love to hear from you, please email us at [email protected] to ask for an application and full details.
Add the Job title you are applying for in the subject line.