Kākābeak Red | root trainer
Clianthus maximus also known as Kākābeak or Ngutukākā
48 in stock
Grown from seeds from a red version of this native plant which is endangered in the wild. The mother plant has red distinctive shaped flowers. Nitrogen fixer. Great in a forest garden once established. Is susceptible to slug damage, grazing and browsing. Please note that as seeds cross we cannot guarantee the colour of the flowers.
Forest Gardens are orchards designed in such a way so the needs of the heavy bearing heavy feeding fruit trees are taken care of in the design.
We do this by:
- Ensuring no more than 60% of the canopy space is taken up by heavy feeders. We prefer 40%.
- For every square metre of heavy feeder canopy there is 0.8 of a square metre of nitrogen fixer.
- For every square metre of heavy feeder there is 1 comfrey plant.
- You have all seven (7) layers of the forest garden present.
- You have as wide a range of mineral accumulators present.
For more details about this see the Koanga Design Your Own Forest Garden Booklet